Friday, March 28, 2008

Film Clips Of Horrifying Things!

The above is a scene infested with all manner of monster from my favorite Russian horror film, Viy, Spirit of Evil, released in 1967. The plot is based on, as quoted from Wikipedia, "a horror short story by the Russian-Ukrainian writer Nikolai Gogol, first published in the first volume of his collection of tales entitled Mirgorod (1835). The title refers to the name of a demonic entity central to the plot." And I saw mention in the article that a remake of this film is due for release in 2009 to conicide with the 200th anniversary of Gogol's birth! Hopefully they don't use any cgi.



The above scene with a giant spider and the horrible nightmarish laughter is from another Russian film, Vasilisa The Beautiful, released in 1939. The story is based on an old Russian fairy tale concerning a witch named Baba Yaga. You can read about it here.


Yokai Monsters - Trailer. There is a trilogy of these Japanese spirit films from the late 60's titled Spook Warfare, 100 Monsters and Along With Ghosts. They each have an amazing atmosphere about them that is similar to the fog soaked landscapes and ambient dread of the best Hammer films. I think this trailer combines all three films, you can find them available at Amazon here. I was lucky enough to pick up all three on dvd at a used bookstore several years ago. I bought them based on the covers alone and they turned out to be some of the best films in my collection!



And last, here is a scene from "Attack of the Beast Creatures" a low budget horror film from 1985. You could almost look at this as a weird sequel to the Trilogy of Terror episode about the African wooden doll demon. This film has a lot of those in their natural environment of the jungle. It's both hillarious and terrifying at the same time. I don't think you'll find this at your local Blockbuster but with enough digging you'll find it... somewhere. I got it off some torrent site several years back and can confirm the rest of the film is equally insane, such as acid pools that people melt in. You can read more about the film here.

I won't be doing this often but maybe every month I'll start posting some of my favorite monster related film clips on here.

4 comments:

Mr. Karswell said...

The Viy is one of my all time favorite movies ever! Can't wait to see Englund totally ruin it with a dumb remake.

Aeron said...

Well well, the man with the coolest new blog on the block. I love The Horrors Of It All, an artist friend introduced me to it not too long ago. I need to get a link to it on here soon. Anyway, yeah they'll probably fuck up VIY in the worst way and have a nu metal soundtrack with a bunch of shit computer graphic effects in place of the amazing theatrical costumes as seen in the original film.

Toxic Molar said...

HA! I love in the attack of the beast creatures video, at 1:06, where the guy is yelling "ow! Ow! OW!"

Aeron said...

Yeah, it would have been even better if afterwards he shouted, "That really smarts!"