Saturday, May 10, 2008

More Things From Hell

source unknown


Demons Cast Out Of Heaven - Illuminated manuscript from "Apocalypse" dated between 1370-1380.


Miniature Hell scenes, torments of the damned. Attributed to the Master of the Dark Eyes.

Part of a 15th century triptych.






















Ecole Flamande - Le Jugement Dernier, 15th c. Full composition on display here.






















Bernard Picart - Hell, engraving 1730






















Limbourg brothers in "Les Tres Riches Heures - a prayer book of the Duc de Berry" printed in 1416. I thought I'd posted this one awhile back but couldn't find it anywhere on MB. A detailed description of this work can be viewed here.






















Cigoli (Lodovico Cardi) Italian, 1559-1613 (designer); Cornelis Galle I, Flemish, 1576-1650 (engraver): Lucifer, from the Divine Comedy, c. 1596 - c. 1605/8, engraving.

I've posted a lot of strange depictions of Lucifer over the past few years but this is one of my favorites. I love that he stands in a giant globe of floating humans from which the three faces are fed, reminds me of Leonord Nemoy's head in that Futurama episode.

No comments: