Monday, December 28, 2009

S. Petersen's Field Guide To Cthulhu Monsters, 1988



"A Field Observer's Handbook Of Preternatural Entities"























































The remainder of illustrations from the book will follow tomorrow. If this book were still in print I wouldn't be sharing it here, but it's been out of print and nearly impossible to find for nearly 20 years. So here it is, enjoy!

I'll also mention that I've been wanting to see this book for all of those 20 years. There is another illustrated guide of Lovecraft monsters very similar to this one, selected pages from which I previously shared here. I was around 10 years old when I acquired it and was introduced to the fascinating realm of Howard Phillips Lovecraft's imagination.

9 comments:

James said...

Awesome! I've been curious about this book for a long time and haven't been able to see any of it this distinctly until now. Many thanks for sharing!

KingUnicorn said...

Yes - awesome, indeed! What I most enjoy is seeing the artistic interpretations. From one Lovecraft work to the next, I always appreciate unexpected depictions of the horrors that lived in the author's imagination.

Zagnut said...

So great. I am beside myself.
I have wanted to see something about this book for a long time. Thank you

ASTROCRUD said...

Thanks so much for sharing this!!!

i-gouge said...

iD Software definitely had a copy of this during Quake 1's production.

Nyarlathotep Devil said...

It's awesome.Thank you very very very very much!!!!
1988! I was only 3 years old.

l.designs said...

I have a new Cthulhu resin toy being released possibly within the next week! http://imperfecz.blogspot.com/
And was wanting to do some different Lovecraft monsters & maybe this will help.

Anonymous said...

You realize this is completely a violation of copyright?

Aeron said...

To anonymous, - "If this book were still in print I wouldn't be sharing it here, but it's been out of print and nearly impossible to find for nearly 20 years."

And the site has a disclaimer that if any copyright owners wish that I take their copyrighted material down, I will do so by request.