Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Yoshitoshi Taiso
Pandora's box, color woodcut 1881.
From the series: Shinkei sanjū rokkaisen : Selection of 36 hair raising transformations (Shinkei 36 kaisen). Direct link to 116 megabyte uncompressed archival TIFF version hosted at the Library of Congress website.

Watanabe no Tsuna cutting the arm of the demon at Rashomon, color woodcut, 1881.
Top panel of a vertical Oban Nishikie diptych, trimmed.
Direct link to 127 megabyte uncompressed archival TIFF version hosted at the Library of Congress website.

Earth spider, color woodcut, 1881.
From the series: Shinkei sanjū rokkaisen : Selection of 36 hair raising transformations (Shinkei 36 kaisen).
Direct link to 112 megabyte uncompressed archival TIFF version hosted at the Library of Congress website.

Article on the artist at Wikipedia.

1 comment:

T. said...

Hey man, I can't say how much I appreciate the fact that you included the link to the Library of Congress image! Not only does this permit me to make a colour print to put on my wall, but even more, having an interest for both illustration and print, it allows me to study the lines in detail, the printed colours and everything.

Other than that, I'm impressed how much unusual artwork you've gathered here, and I enjoy very much the attention on obscure, forgotten Sci-Fi book covers!

Many thanks,
Timo