Monday, April 06, 2009

Dungeons And Dragons Covers
Cover illustration from Advanced Dungeons and Dragons "Manual of the Planes" I think this might be my new desktop.

Cover of Dungeons and Dragons Rule Book, 1980

Queen of the Demonweb Pits

The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth

I downloaded twenty or thirty some gigs worth of Dungeons and Dragons books last year that I intended to poke through and extract interesting images from. I still plan to do that and it will be an epic post when it happens, just not sure when I'll get around to it.


KingUnicorn said...

I saw that first image in my blog dashboard and had to come running over here to comment.

D&D (and AD&D for the older fans around) has provided a stage for some of the most imaginative minds in the art industry to showcase their talents as well as inspiration for current fantasy art heroes.

Jeff Easley's cover art (especially for "Unearthed Arcana") and the work of Gerald Brom for TSR remain some of my all-time favorites in the field.

A great, inspirational post filled with nostalgia.

Aeron said...

I found an old DnD book that belonged to my father when I was 6 or 7 years old and was fascinated with all the crazy monsters in it. I think that played a role in what has become a life long obsession with wretched beasts.

cn.Faust said...

hey,dude,I‘m very lucky to find your blog,and I really like it,for all the Western world monsters,demons,Hell images,and fairy tales,it's very west style,very imaginative.

And I'm excited to introduce you something about the Eastern monsters,Hell,fairy tales,and something like that,also I would like to share some Western style illustrations(maybe you haven't seen before)with you.Glad to see your blog~

Draconis said...

Even though the newer D&D art is very slick and aeons better than the original, I hold a special place in my heart for the original 1.0 monster art, especially in the monster compendiums which I just liked to page through and mull over. Artists like Elmore, Otis, Easley, Parkinson and so many more have become lifelong inspiration. Thank you so much for your blog, It's always awesome to find others who love monsters. I visit every day now since I've found it!

TwoHeadedBoy said...

That sounds like a superb feature that's on the way. Or maybe I could download the same heap of books - maybe? Is it wrong of me to sit back and let you do all the work?

Anonymous said...

the head from monster on cover #1 looks like the cocademon from doom